A FEW THINGS TO THINK ABOUT WHEN CHOOSING STAIN COLOR:
- Consider other elements of the home, such as the siding and roof.
- Understand that color varies during the day due to changing light.
- Choose a lighter shade to visually expand the deck’s size.
- Understand that lighter shades reflect more of the sun’s light and heat, while darker colors absorb more heat and are warmer underfoot.
- Expect that not every store-mixed color will match the brochure chip exactly – and that printed brochure colors can fade over time. Always test your color in the real world!
- When staining, stir the stain often to keep pigments evenly mixed.
- When buying two or more gallons of stain, mix them together in a larger container to make sure small variances in color disappear.
More advice on color and opacity